CENTRAL SECTOR SCHEME OF 'RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL FELLOWSHIP' FOR PROVIDING SCHOLARSHIPS TO SCHEDULED CASTE STUDENTS TO PURSUE PROGRAMMES IN HIGHER EDUCATION SUCH AS M.Phil. AND Ph.D. (Effective from 01-04-2010)
IX. Procedure for applying for RGNF
- UGC is the nodal agency for implementing the RGNF scheme for SC students.
- UGC notifies the scheme by inserting suitable advertisement in the press.
- UGC is implementing the scheme from the financial year 2005-06 and the revised rate is effective from 1.4.2010.
- There is no restriction as regards to the minimum marks in the Post Graduation examination.
- It would be sufficient for a SC candidate to have passed the Post Graduation Examination for being eligible for the RGNF.
- There is no restriction to the effect that a SC candidate should have cleared NET/SLET examination for being eligible for receiving the RGNF.
- UGC will give one month's time to the candidate for applying for the RGNF.
- UGC will select the candidates for award of RGNF.
- The distribution of fellowships amongst different States/UTs would primarily be in the proportion of SC population in the respective States/UTs.
- In case the numbers of fellowships so allocated to a State/UT are not fully utilized, due to non-availability of eligible candidates, the UGC will allocate the slots amongst the other States/UTs where the number of eligible candidates is much more than the slots allocated to that State/UT. A Committee consisting of the representatives of UGC and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment will take this decision.
- UGC shall disburse the scholarship amount to the candidates through Bank Smart Cards.
- UGC will also issue a booklet containing all the details about the scheme, for the benefit of prospective candidates.
- UGC will evolve its own mechanism for verifying the genuineness of the SC certificates furnished by the candidates in order to eliminate the possibility of students availing of the RGNF on fake certificates.
- The decision of the UGC in regard to awarding the RGNF shall be final and no appeal would lie against any decision by UGC in regard thereof.
X. Evaluation and Monitoring
The expenditure on evaluation/monitoring of the fellowship programme shall be met out of the funds provided for this scheme. Award of SRF done after appropriate evaluation of performance in carrying out the research work by the candidate in the Junior Fellowship phase.