Pre-Matric Scholarships to the Children of those Engaged in occupations involving cleaning and prone to health hazards. Applicable with effect from 1-7-2011.
The Government of India is implementing the Scheme of Pre-Matric Scholarship to children of those engaged in 'unclean' occupations since 1977-78. Under the scheme, 100% central assistance is provided to State Governments/UT Administrations from the Government of India for the total expenditure under the Scheme, over and above their respective Committed Liability to implement this Scheme.
The objective of the scheme is to provide financial assistance to children of whose parents/guardians belong to one of the following categories, to pursue Pre-matric education:-
- Persons who are either presently engaged in manual scavenging or were so engaged upto or after 1.1.97 or the date on which the "The Employment of manual scavengers and construction of Dry latrines (Prohibition) Act 1993" came into force in their State/UT, whichever is earlier;
- Flayers; and
- Waste pickers
2. Conditions of Eligibility:
Scholarship will be admissible to the children/wards of Indian Nationals who, irrespective of their religion are:
a. either presently engaged in manual scavenging or were so engaged upto or after 1.1.97 or the date on which the "The Employment of manual scavengers and construction of Dry latrines (Prohibition) Act 1993" came into force in their State/UT, whichever is earlier;
b. presently engaged in Tanning and/or Flaying/ or waste picking.
- Children who are born to parents who are not engaged in such occupations, but have been adopted by such person (as mentioned in sub para 2(i) above) will be eligible for scholarship only after a lapse of three years from the date of such adoption provided that they have been living with the adopted parents since the date of such adoption. Such children will be eligible only if their parents furnish such certificates (such as of proof of their occupation, date of adoption etc.) as may be required by the concerned State Government/Union Territory administration.
- A certificate should be obtained from the eligible candidates as follows:
a. From Children/wards mentioned in sub- para 2(i)(a): only once, at the time of their first application/renewal, as the case may be, of Pre-matric Scholarship, after the coming into force of this revision (of 2011), to the effect that at least one parent belongs to the relevant categories;
b. From Children/wards mentioned in sub- para 2(i)(b): every year, to the effect that at least one parent is currently engaged in tanning and/or flaying.
3. Duration and course of studies:
The scholarships may be given to students enrolled in class I or any subsequent class or pre-matric stage in the case of day scholars, and class III or any subsequent class of pre-matric stage in case of hostellers. The scholarship will terminate at the end of class X. The duration of scholarship in an academic year is ten months.
4. The rates under the scheme are as follows:
Class I to X Rs. 110/- p.m. for ten month
Class III to X Rs. 700/- p.m. for ten month
In addition an ad-hoc grant of Rs. 750/- per student per annum to all day scholars and Rs. 1000/- per student per annum to hostellers would be admissible. Besides this there are additional provisions of allowances for students amongst target groups with disabilities.
5. Mode of applying:
The concerned Department of the State Government/Union Territory administration will supply the application forms, which should be received back by that department along with prescribed certificate, by the last date.
SCHEME DOCUMENT OF PRE MATRIC SCHOLARSHIP TO CHILDREN OF THOSE ENGAGED IN UNCLEAN OCCUPATION (size :.06MB)