Allocation of Business Rules, 1961
"DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL JUSTICE AND EMPOWERMENT (SAMAJIK NYAYA AUR ADHIKARITA VIBHAG)
Note: The Department of Social Justice and Empowerment shall be the nodal Department for the overall policy, planning and coordination of programmes for the development of the groups mentioned at (i) to (iv) above, and the welfare of the group at (v) above. However, overall management and monitoring etc. of the sectoral programmes in respect of these groups shall be the responsibility of the concerned Central Ministries, State Governments and Union Territory Administrations. Each Central Ministry or Department shall discharge nodal responsibility concerning its sector.
- The following subject which fall within List III - Concurrent List of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution:
Nomadic and Migratory Tribes.
- To act as the nodal Department for matters pertaining to the following groups, namely:-
(i) Scheduled Castes;
(ii) Socially and Educationally Backward Classes;
(iii) Denotified Tribes;
(iv) Economically Backward Classes; and
(v) Senior Citizens.
- Special schemes aimed at social, educational and economic empowerment of the groups mentioned at (i) to (iv) under entry 2 above, e.g. scholarships, hostels, residential schools, skill training, concession loans and subsidy for self-employment, etc.
- Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers in alternative occupations.
- Programmes of care and support to senior citizens.
- Rehabilitation of victims of alcoholism and substance abuse, and their families.
- International Conventions and Agreements on matters dealt within the Department.
- Awareness generation, research, evaluation and training in regard to subjects allocated to the Department.
- Charitable and Religious Endowments and promotion and development of Voluntary Effort pertaining to subjects allocated to the Department.
- The Protection of Civil Rights Act, 1955 (22 of 1955).
- The Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989 (33 of 1989), (in so far as it relates to the Scheduled Castes, excluding administration of criminal justice in regard to offences under the Act).
- National Commission for Backward Classes Act, 1993 (27 of 1993).
- The Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 (56 of 2007).
- National Commission for the Scheduled Castes.
- National Commission for Safai Karmacharis.
- National Commission for Backward Classes.
- National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation.
- National Safai Karamcharis Finance and Development Corporation.
- National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation.
- National Institute of Social Defence.
- Dr. Ambedkar Foundation.
- Babu Jagjivan Ram National Foundation
- National Commission for Denotified and Semi-Namadic Tribes