The vision of the Department is to build an inclusive society wherein members of the target groups can lead productive, safe and dignified lives with adequate support for their growth and development. Towards this objective, it formulates plans, policies and programmes, enacts/ amends legislation, guides and coordinates the efforts of both governmental and non-governmental organizations for the empowerment of its target groups. The Plan division helps in the formulation of the policy of inclusive development of the country and fulfils the continuous need for monitoring the efficacy and effectiveness of various welfare programmes.
Major items of work allotted to Plan Division are given as under:
1. Annual Report of the Department
2. Preparation and revision of the Compendium of Schemes
3. Co-ordination of issues relating to Skill Development.
4. Gender Budgeting related issues
5. Other Miscellaneous issues eg Departmental Action Plan of Group of Secretaries.
6. Work relating to parliamentary standing committee covering two or more subjects
7. Parliament Questions/Assurances/RTI matters relating to the work indicated above