Scheme of National Scholarships for Persons with Disabilities
Government of India
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
National Scholarship for Persons with Disabilities (2008-09)
Applications (in Hindi or English) in the prescribed proforma are invited from students with disabilities for financial assistance for pursuing higher and technical education. Eligibility conditions etc. for the Scholarship as follows:
I. Eligibility: -
- Financial assistance will be available to Indian students with at least 40% disabilities certified as per definition under Persons with Disabilities Act 1995.
- Financial assistance will be given for pursuing post-Matric/Post-Secondary technical and professional courses including Ph.D & M.Phil from recognized institutions. However, for students with disabilities of Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation, Multiple Disabilities, and Profound or Severe Hearing Impaired, the minimum educational qualification will be class VIII pass and scholarship will be awarded to them for pursuing general, technical, vocational or professional courses.
- Scholarship will be awarded to one student for pursuing only one course.
- Financial assistance can be given for computer with editing software for blind / deaf graduate and postgraduate students pursuing professional courses and for support access software for cerebral palsied students.
- Continuation / renewal of the award for next year will depend on successfully completing the course in the preceding year with minimum 50 (fifty) percent marks.
- The Assistance under this Scheme is not intended for Post-Matric/Post Secondary Technical/Professional courses having duration of less than one year.
- A scholarship holder under this scheme will not concurrently hold any other scholarship/stipend. If already any other scholarship/stipend awarded, the student is required to exercise his/her option for choosing the scholarship that he/she proposes to avail and inform awarding authority about the same.
- Monthly family income of the beneficiary should not be more than Rs. 15,000/- from all sources. Family income includes income of the parent/guardian.