POA Act, 1989 Rules
- reviewing the position of cases registered under the Act; and
- submitting a monthly report on or before 20th day of each subsequent month to the State Government nodal officer about the action taken/proposed to be taken in respect of the above.
9. NOMINATION OF NODAL OFFICER:
The State Government shall nominate a nodal officer of the level of a Secretary to the State Government preferably belonging to the Scheduled Castes or the Scheduled Tribes, for coordinating the functioning of the District Magistrates and Superintendent of Police or other officers authorised by them investigating officers and other officers responsible for implementing the provisions of the Act. By the end of the every quarter, the nodal officer shall review:-
- the reports received by the State Government under sub-rule (2) and (4) of rule 4, rule 6, clause (xi) of rule 8;
- the position of cases registered under the Act;
- law and order situation in the identified area;
- various kinds of measures adopted for providing immediate relief in cash or kind or both to the victims of atrocity or his or her dependent;
- adequacy of immediate facilities like rationing, clothing, shelter, legal aid, travelling allowance, daily allowance and transport facilities provided to the victims of atrocity or his/her dependents;
- performance of non-Governmental organisations, the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes Protection Cell, various committees and the public servants responsible for implementing the provisions of the Act.
10. APPOINTMENT OF A SPECIAL OFFICER:
In the identified area a Special Officer not below the rank of a Additional District Magistrate shall be appointed to co-ordinate with the District magistrate, Superintendent of Police or other officers responsible for implementing the provisions of the Act, various committees and the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes Protection Cell.
The Special Officer shall be responsible for:
- providing immediate relief and other facilities to the victims of atrocity and initiate necessary measures to prevent or avoid re-occurrence of atrocity;
- setting up an awareness centre and organizing workshop in the identified area or at the district head quarters to educate the persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes about their rights and the protection available to them under the provisions of various Central and State enactments or rules and schemes etc. framed therein:
- co-ordinating with the Non Governmental organisations and providing necessary facilities and financial and other type of assistance to non-Governmental Organisation for maintaining centres or organising workshops;