Results-Framework Document for 2009-10
Section 1 - Vision, Mission, Objectives and Functions
To build a society wherein members of the target groups of the Ministry, namely Scheduled Castes (SCs), Other Backward Classes (OBCs), Persons with Disabilities (PwDs), Senior Citizens & Victims of Substance Abuse can lead productive, safe and dignified lives, with all their basic needs being fulfilled, and where equal opportunities are ensured for the growth and development for SCs, OBCs and PwDs, and adequate support and opportunities for Senior citizens and victims of substance abuse.
The Mission of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is to empower the disadvantaged and marginalized sections of the society belonging to its target groups, namely, (i) Scheduled Castes, (ii) Backward Classes, (iii) Persons with disabilities, (iv) Aged Persons and (v) Victims of alcoholism and substance abuse through educational, economic and social empowerment and rehabilitation as appropriate.
Objectives of the Ministry are:
- Educational and Economic Development and Social Empowerment of Scheduled Castes (SCs)
- Educational and Economic Development and Social Empowerment of Other Backward Classes (OBCs)
- Rehabilitation, Educational and Economic Development and Social Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities
- Support to Senior Citizens by way of their Maintenance, Welfare, Security, Health Care and Productive and independent living
- Rehabilitation, through 'whole person recovery' approach , of victims of substance abuse